How to make your grandfather clock keep good time.
Adjusting the Pendulum on Your Grandfather Clock
How to speed up grandfather clock or slow down your grandfather clock.
The pendulum length dictates how fast or how slow your grandfather clock will keep the proper time. If you take time to adjust it properly, the grandfather clock can keep exceptionally good time for a mechanical timekeeper.
- The longer you make the pendulum, the slower the grandfather clock.
- The shorter you make the pendulum, the faster the grandfather clock.
Adjusting the speed of the clock is accomplished by moving the pendulum disk (bob) up or down. This is adjusted by turning the nut at the bottom of the pendulum. Moving it up pushes the “bob” (the round disk) up so the clock will run faster. If you turn the nut as to lower the “bob”, the clock will run slower.
The pendulum disk is moved up or down by turning the adjustment nut.
1) Start by seeing exactly how far off the time is over a 24 hour period. Set the grandfather clock correctly by using your cell phone. Watch your cell phone time as soon as it advances to the next minute on whatever hour it is on, set the minute hand on the grandfather clock to that location.
2) Look at the clock again exactly 24 hours later and see if it is fast or slow. Move the nut up or down depending if it is slow or fast about a full turn for a minute a day.
3) Look at the grandfather clock again another 24 hours later and see if it is fast or slow. Move the nut up or down depending if it is slow or fast about a 1/2 turn for a 30 seconds a day. reset the minute hand to the correct time as above.
4) Repeat the above using less turn on the nut until the pendulum is the correct length.
If your grandfather clock is slow or fast, the speed is dictated by this adjustment. It is always easier for the clock to begin slow and then start raising the pendulum nut so the clock will gradually run faster until the correct time is achieved.
New grandfather clocks available from The Clock Depot at 30% Off and free shipping anywhere within the cont. United States.