Bulova Quartz Harmonic Movement Instructions
Posted on December 27, 2017 | By clockde
Bulova Harmonic Quartz Movement Instructions
SETTING THE TIME
Before inserting the batteries, adjust the time to 5:50 by using the Time Setting knob to rotate the hands CLOCKWISE.
2.. Install two “C” size and one “AA” alkaline batteries according to the +/- symbols in the battery holders.
- Set the time by using the Time Setting knob to rotate the hands CLOCKWISE. If setting the time for PM, make sure the hour hand passes through 12 o’clock noon
until the desired time is shown. While setting the time, it is normal to hear sounds from the movement or speaker. Continue advancing the time until the correct time is shown.
Once the time is set, the melody will adjust to the time selected, however, it is important that the harmonic clock movement is allowed to operate for at least one hour for the chime sequence to become fully functional. The clock may chime out of sequence during the first hour of operation. The quartz movement is highly accurate and has been adjusted at the factory for precise timekeeping.
SETTING THE MELODY
SELECT: Use the chime SELECT switch to select the chime melody according to the following settings:
4X4 WESTMINSTER = Westminster melody and Hour Strike on the hour. Additionally ¼ of the melody at quarter past the hour, ½ the melody at half past the hour, ¾ of the melody at three-quarters past the hour, and the full melody on the hour.
AVE MARIA = Ave Maria melody and Hour Strike on the hour. Full melody on the hour without quarter hours.
WESTMINSTER = Westminster melody and Hour Strike and count on the hour. Hourly only.
BIM BAM = Bim Bam strike on the hour (i.e. at 1 o’clock, 1 strike of “bim-bam”, at 2 o’clock then 2 strikes of “bim-bam”, etc.) No melody or quarter-hour counts.
VOLUME: Turn the Volume Control Knob to adjust the volume.
SOUND: Use the SOUND switch to select the sound options according to the following settings:
PM11:00-AM5:45 NIGHT OFF = turns off the chime melody and strike from 11:00PM to 5:45AM (Automatic Nightime volume shut-off)
24 Hr ON = the chime melody and strike are always ON
OFF = the chime melody and strike are always OFF
PENDULUM SET-UP (for pendulum movements only)
- Release the Pendulum Guide from the Transport-Locking Pin by gently pushing it
sideways, allowing the pendulum guide to hang freely.
- Hang the pendulum on the pendulum guide.
- Move the pendulum to the far left of center and release.
- Let the clock operate a few minutes until the pendulum settles into an even
If the clock begins to lose time, chime weakens, or pendulum stops to swing, this is the sign of weak or exhausted batteries. Replace with new alkaline batteries.
- TIME SETTING WHEEL – adjusts the time on the dial. Always move in a clockwise motion
- SELECT SWITCH – Move up or down to choose your chime melody
- SOUND SWITCH – Select Chime OFF – 24HR ON or AUTO-NIGHTIME CHIME OFF
- VOLUME CONTROL – changes the volume from soft to loud
Daylight Saving Time:
Spring – Move hands forward one hour
Fall – 1) if you use Night time shutoff..move hands forward 23 hours
2) if you use chimes on 24hrs – move hands forward 11 hours
**If your clock chimes a different hour than the dial displays:
- Remove the batteries in your clock.
- Set the time using the time setting wheel to 5:50.
- Re-install the batteries.
- RE-install the batteries according to the +/- symbols in the battery holders..
- Set the time by Set the time by using the Time Setting knob to rotate the hands CLOCKWISE. If setting the time for PM, make sure the hour hand passes through 12 o’clock noon
until the desired time is shown. While setting the time, it is normal to hear sounds from the movement or speaker. Continue advancing the time until the correct time is shown